1910s: New York to Hollywood

Vaudeville led to Lasky's involvement with the motion picture business. In 1913 Lasky joined his brother-in-law Samuel Goldfish (later Goldwyn) and his best friend Cecil B. DeMIlle to form The Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Company. Director General DeMille took his cast and crew west, rented a barn on Selma and Vine, and made Hollywood's first feature film, The Squaw Man. In 1916 they joined with Adolph Zukor's Famous Players Film Company to create the Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, which then merged with Paramount Pictures.  Paramount Pictures.

[RIGHT] Inside the Jesse L. Lasky Feature Play Co. studio on Selma and Vine, in 1914. (Seated) Jesse L. Lasky (standing left to right) Cecil B. DeMille, Oscar Apfel, Dustin Farnum, Edmund Breese, and Edward Abeles

Filming The Squaw Man

Jesse L. Lasky in front of the barn in 1914


[ABOVE] The new company chiefs of Famous Players-Lasky after the merger in 1916. From left: Jesse Lasky, VP in charge of production;
Adolph Zukor, president; Samuel Goldwyn, chairman of the board; Cecil B. DeMille, director-general;
and Albert “Al” Kaufman, Zukor brother-in-law, West Coast studio manager.
Caricature of Lasky by Enrico Caruso, 1918


Bessie Lasky in the garden of the Laskys' first big house at Hillside and La Brea in Hollywood